The Old Chapel started life as a Methodist Chapel, built in 1910. It remained active as a place of worship and important centre of the community until it closed in 1990. Subsequently Peterloo Poets, a poetry-publishing house, acquired it in 1997. With funding from the Arts Council and various charities it was converted into a beautiful public performance venue.
When Peterloo Poets ceased trading, the Chapel was acquired by a group of local residents in 2010 with the intention of saving it for the community. Since then Calstock Arts has established the Old Chapel as a not for profit arts centre run by volunteers. It puts on a variety of music, arts, educational and social activities.
Calstock Arts organises events featuring top quality national and local performers and artists. Events include a broad range of Folk, Jazz and Classical music. Comedy acts have also proved to be very popular. In addition we put on films, talks and literary events.
As part of a long term programme to improve the facilities of the Old chapel the Kelly Room was developed at the end of 2013. This has resulted in a new multipurpose space and kitchen. This can be used as a cafe to provide pre event food or a space to hire.
Calstock Arts produce a newsletter twice a year to inform everyone about the latest events and any future plans.